Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Smells like middle age

You have not felt old until you've watched this clip of teens watching old Nirvana videos.

I still remember hearing Smells Like Teen Spirit for the first time and my heart lurching into the pit of my stomach. Hearing that Kurt had overdosed in Rome. My friend somehow wrangling a VHS copy of The Year that Punk Broke (the pre-You Tube era where living in Australia meant a level of cultural isolation OH KIDS TODAY YOU HAVE NO IDEA). Kurt on the cover of our zine after his death (Zines! Photocopies! Haha! Oh kids, let me tell you ...). Everyone having a friend of a friend who never let you forget he'd seen the Nirvana sideshow at The Palace in 92. Courtney Love doing an instore and signing CDs (CDs!) at Gaslight (record stores!). Country Road selling flannel shirts. Triple M sponsoring 'alt' music festivals. Middle class kids with unwashed hair and a met ticket.

Oh kids. Teenage angst has paid off well, now I'm bored and old.




No comments: